The majority of our readers are likely familiar with the Tri Delta coat of arms, featuring
“a shield quartered, first and fourth quarters in blue on each of which is a silver trident, second and third gold on each of which is a green pine tree; above the shield the crest, consisting of a horse with six folds alternating gold and blue, from which rises a white, gold and blue pansy.”
Below the shield, written in Greek, our open motto, “Let us steadfastly love one another,” inscribed on a scroll. What many people do not know is this history behind the coat of arms.
Designed by Richard B. Lockwood of New York, it was adopted at the 1906 Convention, the design was secured by Elizabeth A. S. Tredwell, Barnard. What is interesting about our coat of arms’ history is that at one time, the Fraternity expressed dissatisfaction with the original design, and submissions for a new design were solicited. The cover of the February 1920 edition of The Trident featured a proposed design,
“and an explanation of it said that it embodied more symbolism by picturing the pine, the trident, the scroll effect which in art is known as the Greek ‘sea line,’ and the dolphin which was a good weather omen for early mariners. Only one word of the open motto, steadfastly was retained to simplify reproduction of the riband.”
The article requested members submit comments and opinions of the newly suggested design. Preference for the original, quartered-shield design was apparent, and the proposal died down.
Source: History of Delta Delta Delta: 1888-1988 (Centennial Edition)